Server: Thunderhorn
Guild: Lobster Brood
Race: Tauren
Class: Druid
Xbox GamerTag: Tecwulf
Wii Code: 4136 9808 2994 9596

3DS Friend Codes

Post by Borion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 am

I was going to wait until Ocarina of Time 3D came out in June to get one, but I caved in today and bought a 3DS. I didn't get any 3DS games, but I have enough DS games to play and the AR games included with the system are pretty fun as well.

If anyone else has a 3DS and wants to swap friend codes (thank GOD the system only needs one for all games instead of the dumb old friend code system!), post it here!

This card below has my 3DS code, a preview of my Mii, and the QR code to add my Mii to your Mii Plaza. If you want one of these cards made, let me know and I'll make one for you!

Motagus
Artifact
Artifact
Race: Undead
Class: Mage
Xbox GamerTag: GrumpyPerlMonk
Battle Tag: dobbz#1930

Re: 3DS Friend Codes

Post by Motagus » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:25 pm

I don't get how you get 3D without glasses. Does it really work?
Q: Why is leveling a mage like being Irish?
A: Because it's drink, fight, drink, fight.

Borion
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Borion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:40 pm

It seriously works. The trick with the glasses-less 3D is that it has a narrow viewing angle, so it really only works for the person playing the system (and maybe someone standing behind them). The 3D slider is helpful too in case someone can't really see the effect at full power, or you can just turn it off entirely and it becomes a more-powerful DS (graphics, processor, sound, etc.).

Taking 3D pictures with it takes a lot of practice to make good-looking images. The best picture I've taken is one of the corner with all my consoles. There's a chair in the dead-center of the picture that perfectly shows off the 3D effect, as well as my Guitar Hero drum set slightly more in the background but still showing up in 3D.

Check around your local Best Buys to see if they have the 3DS demo-ing. You'll be able to see it yourself!

Marigus
Epic
Epic
Server: Zangarmarsh
Guild: Wipeaholics
Race: Human
Class: Death Knight
Role: Tank
PSN Name: m4riGus

Post by Marigus » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am

Motagus wrote:I don't get how you get 3D without glasses. Does it really work?
It's a special layer on the screen that skews the viewing angle just enough to give the left eye/right eye different angles, the same premise as 3D glassesless TVs. It sucks on TVs, Toshiba had a big demo at CES this year, Sony's worked better, the problem is you have to be sitting in the exact right spot to get it to be perfect, the same problem exists with the 3DS, you have to find and stay in the "sweet spot".
Missionary (73 Gnome Mage) Zangarmarsh
Hippostyle (84 Human Pally) Zangarmarsh
Marigoose (85 Human DK) Zangarmarsh
Mariguss (85 Worgen Rogue) Zangarmarsh
Chickenstyle (85 Worgen Druid) Zangarmarsh

Ubiquitous
Epic
Epic
Race: Undead
Class: Shaman

Post by Ubiquitous » Wed May 25, 2011 5:00 pm

So how's that work, you just take a picture of that card and it adds it to your friends list?

Borion
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Borion » Thu May 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Ubiquitous wrote:So how's that work, you just take a picture of that card and it adds it to your friends list?
Close - If you take a picture of the QR code with a 3DS, it'll add my Mii to your Mii Plaza. You'd have to manually enter the code on the bottom to add me to your friends list, and I'd have to add yours to do the same. I just made this card to put all the info in one place so it's easier to give out!

Borion
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Borion » Thu May 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Marigus wrote:
Motagus wrote:I don't get how you get 3D without glasses. Does it really work?
It's a special layer on the screen that skews the viewing angle just enough to give the left eye/right eye different angles, the same premise as 3D glassesless TVs. It sucks on TVs, Toshiba had a big demo at CES this year, Sony's worked better, the problem is you have to be sitting in the exact right spot to get it to be perfect, the same problem exists with the 3DS, you have to find and stay in the "sweet spot".
Yeah I definitely can't see it working on anything much bigger than the 3DS. The spot is easily-found on the 3DS so it's not too bad, but you'd be silly to use the 3D function while using the motion controls built-into the system.